Before playing any casino game, one must understand the rules that regulate the game. Being familiar with the rules of Baccarat will allow the player to understand why the outcome occurs the way it does. In the game of Baccarat, the rules are fairly simple to understand.
- You have the option to wager on Player, Banker, or Tie.
- Card Value goes as follows: Ace = 1, 2-9 = Exactly as they are, 10, J, Q, K = Zero. [K & 8 = 8, not 18]
- At the beginning of the game, 6-8 decks of cards are shuffled. One card is flipped over and that will tell the dealer how many cards to burn. Once the # of cards is burned, the game begins. [3 come up, then 3 cards are burned. If a Q is drawn, 10 cards are burned]
- Once the cards are burned and the game begins. Read the rules below to find out the objective and when the Player and Banker draw a 3rd card.
**You only pay commission if you wager and win on the Banker hand 5%. If you wager on Player, you do not have to pay commission at all. The calculated odds of winning on Banker is 1.06% higher than betting on Player.
Player or Banker’s hand comes out to be a Natural 8 or 9, the round is over (no additional card can be drawn, see third card rule below).
Third Card Rule:
Player’s hand first two initial cards comes out to be 6 or 7, Player must stand. A third card is only drawn for the Player hand if the sums of the first two initial cards dealt are 5 or less. If the Player hand does not draw a third card, then the Banker hand either stands on 6 or 7 or only draws a third card if its first two initial card total are 5 or less.
BANKER DRAWS A THIRD CARD ONLY WHEN:
- The sum is 2 or less then bank draws a card, regardless of what the Players third card is.
- The sum is 3 then the bank draws a third card unless the Players third card was an 8.
- The sum is 4 then the bank draws a third card unless the Players third card was a 0, 1, 8, or 9.
- The sum is 5 then the bank draws a third card if the Players third card was 4, 5, 6, or 7.
- The sum is 6 then the bank draws a third card if the Players third card was a 6 or 7.
What counts as a winning hand?
Prior to the cards being dealt, the players at the table will have to place their wagers, either on the Banker or Player. As the rules stated above, normally 2 cards are dealt to the Player and 2 cards to the Banker. Now the 3rd card rule applies only if the conditions stated above occur.
Let’s say you place a bet on the Player for $100 and the girl in the red dress next to you places her wager on Banker for $200. Cards are dealt, the Player has two cards (5 Diamonds & 4 Spades = 9 points total) and the Banker has two cards (2 Diamonds & Ace Clubs with a 3rd card dealt King Spades = 3 points total). The end result is Player wins with a Natural 9 and you get paid out $200.
I’m not even going to talk about the TIE bet because a smart Baccarat Player will never bet on TIE.
Baccarat being as popular as it is, casinos and card rooms have developed variations of the game. The rules are slightly different from the original Baccarat game.